directory-dev mailing list archives

From Selcuk AYA <ayasel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release troubles and failing tests
Date Tue, 08 May 2012 19:44:37 GMT
On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 12:34 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> FYI, I'm trying to narrow the pb to the tests that make the server to
>> freeze, by removing tests from the server-integ suite. It will take a bt of
>> time, but as soon as I will have reduced the set of test to the minimum,
>> I'll let you know.
>>
> Ok, I was able to reproduce the pb with just two tests in the suite :
>
> package org.apache.directory.server.suites;
>

> import org.apache.directory.server.annotations.CreateLdapServer;
> import org.apache.directory.server.annotations.CreateTransport;
> import org.apache.directory.server.core.annotations.ContextEntry;
> import org.apache.directory.server.core.annotations.CreateDS;
> import org.apache.directory.server.core.annotations.CreateIndex;
> import org.apache.directory.server.core.annotations.CreatePartition;
> import org.apache.directory.server.core.integ.FrameworkSuite;
> import org.apache.directory.server.operations.search.PagedSearchIT;
> import org.apache.directory.server.operations.search.SearchIT;
> import org.junit.runner.RunWith;
> import org.junit.runners.Suite;
>

> /**
>  * Stock (default configuration) server integration test suite.
>  *
>  * @author <a href="mailto:dev@directory.apache.org">Apache Directory
> Project</a>
>  */
> @RunWith(FrameworkSuite.class)
> @Suite.SuiteClasses(
>    {
>        // operations.search
>        PagedSearchIT.class,
>        SearchIT.class,
> })
> @CreateDS(
> name = "SuiteDS",
> partitions =
>    {
>        @CreatePartition(
>            name = "example",
>            suffix = "dc=example,dc=com",
>            contextEntry = @ContextEntry(
>                entryLdif =
>                "dn: dc=example,dc=com\n" +
>                    "dc: example\n" +
>                    "objectClass: top\n" +
>                    "objectClass: domain\n\n"),
>                {
>                    @CreateIndex(attribute = "objectClass"),
>                    @CreateIndex(attribute = "dc"),
>                    @CreateIndex(attribute = "ou")
>            })
> })
> @CreateLdapServer(
> transports =
>    {
>        @CreateTransport(protocol = "LDAP"),
>        @CreateTransport(protocol = "LDAPS")
> })
> public class StockServerISuite
> {
> }
>
> It seems like the PersistentSearch is keeping a cursor in the server until
> the search is abandonned or the user unbinds. That might well be an issue.
>
> Now, what if we have some user starting a pagedSearch, which can last for a
> very long period of time ? How would it impact the txn layer and the cache ?

That would have memory implications for the txn layer. Non flushed
part of the log would keep growing.

Currently that could lead to deadlock at JDBM layer. However if we
allow snapshot cache pages to be allocated on demand rather than
having a fixed number of cache pages, that would translare into a
memory problem as well.

> --
> Regards,
> Cordialement,