directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Inex branch merged into trunk...
Date Wed, 02 May 2012 13:21:58 GMT
On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@gmail.com>wrote:

> Le 5/2/12 12:33 PM, Alex Karasulu a écrit :
>
>> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny<elecharny@gmail.com>**
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Le 5/2/12 9:53 AM, Alex Karasulu a écrit :
>>>
>>>  On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 2:43 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny<elecharny@gmail.com>*

>>> atm, we do clone the entries we fetch from the server, then we filter the
>>> Attributes and the values, modifying the cloned entries. This leads to
>>> useless create of the removed Attributes and Values. We suggested to
>>> accumulate the modifications and to apply them at the end, avoiding the
>>> cloning of AT which will not be returned.
>>>
>>> First of all, we can avoid cloning the Values. The Value implementation
>>> are immutable classes. This save around 7% of the time.
>>>
>>> But this is not all we can do : we can simply avoid the accumulation of
>>> modifications *and* avoid cloning the entry !
>>>
>>> The idea is simple : when we get an entry in the cursor we have got back,
>>> we create a new empty entry, then we iterate over all the original
>>> entry's
>>> attributes and values, and for each one of those attributes and values,
>>> we
>>> check the filters, which will just tell if the Attribute/Value must be
>>> ditched or kept. This way, we don't do anything useless, like storing the
>>> modification or creating useless Attributes.
>>>
>>> It will work to the extent we deal with the CollectiveAttributes which
>>> must be injected somewhere, before we enter the loop (a
>>> connectiveAttribute
>>> might perfectly be removed by the ACI filter...). But we can also inject
>>> those added collective attributes into the loop of filters.
>>>
>>> I may miss something, but I do think that this solution is a clear
>>> winner,
>>> even in term of implementation...
>>>
>>> thoughts ?
>>>

>>>  We talked about using a wrapper around the entry to encapsulate these
>> matters making it happen automatically behind the scenes. This does not
>> affect the surrounding code.
>>
>> How is this proposal now different? Why would you not use a wrapper?
>>
> Because the wrapper is useless in this case !
>
> The beauty of the solution is that we either create a new entry with all
> the requested AT and values, accordingly to the filters (if the user embeds
> the server), or if this is a network request, we directly generates the
> encoded message without having to create the intermediate entry at all !

I don't know how you'll pull that off considering that the interceptors
which cause side effects are expecting an entry to alter or from which to
read information from to do their thang.

This is why I'm a bit confused. Maybe its a matter of description and the
language where I'm failing to understand.

--
Best Regards,
-- Alex