directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Triggers and SPs vs release
Date Fri, 04 May 2012 10:20:27 GMT
On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@gmail.com>wrote:

> Le 5/4/12 12:02 PM, Alex Karasulu a écrit :
>
>  On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny<elecharny@gmail.com>**
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Hi guys,
>>>
>>> now that trunks is stable and fast, I try to spend some time to fix the
>>> @Ignored Triggers/SP tests.
>>>
>>> As we moved away from JNDI, it impacted the associated code, and it was
>>> never fixed. I think it's about time...
>>>

>>>  For now I advise ignoring the SP and Trigger code fixes. First because
>> the
>> MVCC code and transaction subsystem will impact the implementation and we
>> need to rethink the implementation. After the transaction branch and the
>> OSGi branch are merged in to trunk I think it's a good time to consider
>> these features again.
>>
> Really, atm, it's just about getting JNDI out of the code.

Well if it's just a matter of getting the tests running yeah it's not a big
deal.

In terms of the big picture I think all this code needs to be
reimplemented. The trigger and SP specifications need to be better defined.
Handling chain recursion issues needs to be reconsidered because we've
removed the InvocationStack I think or it's not being leveraged. Everything
should be gutted IMHO.

> The idea is to have something that works *before* we get the txn code
> merged, because then we will have a base to start with.
>
> Those tests has been @Ignored since 2008 :/

Yeah that's why I don't think it's worth the time to deal with it. We
should just focus on the TxN and OSGi side then reimplement it together.
Like a clean room implementation instead of fixing what's outdated. That's
just my opinion but I don't feel adamantly about it. Just think it's a
wasted effort considering the changes coming soon.

--
Best Regards,
-- Alex