directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release troubles and failing tests
Date Fri, 11 May 2012 05:47:22 GMT
Hi guys,

as I'm up early, I was thinking about the search issue again.

AFAICT, the only possible option we have here is to grab everything from
the server when doing a search, before sending back anything to the client.
FTR, a while back (2008 ?), we were doing that but it was an accident :
as we were not waiting for the client to be ready, we were injecting
into MINA all the read entries. It ended with frequent OOM when the
search request was big.

We changed that so the results are only returned when the client is
ready to read more data.

But back to my initial thoughts : if we were relying on a MVCC capable
backend (MVCC BTree), then we won't have to gather all the entries, we
can rely on the backend to return the entries one by one, assuming the
backend keeps each valid version on disk.

Of course, teh problem is that we have many backends to deal with, so
the current implementation still holds.

In the ong run, I wonder if using in-memory MVCC Btree for Ldif
partitions and rely on a MVCC JDBM ould not be a viable solution...

thoughts ?

--
Regards,
Cordialement,