directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject LRUCache issues
Date Wed, 09 May 2012 05:55:27 GMT
Hi guys,

so yesterday, I thought I have fixed the issue we have where the
server-integ tests are blocked waiting for some slot to bee freed from
the LRUCache.

Sadly, this is not the case, and while trying to cut the release another
time, I get blocked again.

I slept on this problem and had come to the conclusion that the eviction
algorithm we use is just not acceptable : we simply can't wait for some
other thread to free a slot. That would make it possible for a user
application to just kill the server if it forgets to close all the
cursors it has created.

In no case we should allow such thing to happen. Increasing the cache
size is not an alternative either.

All in all, this is just a cache, supposed to speed the server, not
supposed to freeze it.

We need to change the eviction strategy to something that simply select
the LRU element from the cache, even f it means we may have way more
disk access.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,