directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <ayyagariki...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Interceptor for searches to dynamically populate with Data ?
Date Sat, 28 Apr 2012 21:47:03 GMT
Kiran Ayyagari
On Apr 29, 2012 2:51 AM, "Garbage" <garbage@gmx.de> wrote:

> I read about the concept of interceptors but could not find the detail if
they can be activated when a search is carried out.
> My intention is to collect data from multiple (non-LDAP) sources and make
them accessible via a LDAP interface. Because only a changing fraction of
the data is needed every day and I can't tell in advance which is needed I
don't want to load all of the data into the LDAP.
> The idea is to intercept the call for "cn=johndoe", search johns data in
the mentioned sources / repositories and add if to the LDAP. After that the
query can be carried out and the data delivered to the client.

> And here are my questions:
> 1) did I understand the concept of interceptors correctly ?
yes
> 2) is it possible to intercept searches ?
yes
> 3) does the interface for interceptors change between ApacheDS 1.5 and
2.0 ?
yes and no, some package reorg was performed in 2.0 where as the method
signatures are mostly unchanged
> 4) do you see any performance drawbacks in my idea ?
it depends on how much time the retrieval and subsequent message
transformation takes
Let's assume the retrieval from the sources takes 0 ms, will I experience a
delay between importing the data and the point in time when it is
retrievable from the LDAP ? Or will it perhaps not be available because of
update / caching effects ?

can you be more precise in what you mean by 'importing' that part is not
entirely clear to me