directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: Website migration
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2012 12:00:37 GMT
Hi guys,

I have asked the ASF Infra to setup our svnpubsub on a staging site for testing purposes:

A new SVN project location has been created for the website at:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/site/

The content of the website is in the trunk sub-folder.

What happens is, every time a commit is made in this area, the website bot will checkout the
modifications, generate the website and update it on the staging URL:
http://directory.staging.apache.org

I will try to migrate pages as I go along in the following weeks.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

On 20 avr. 2012, at 19:03, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:

> On 20 avr. 2012, at 11:56, Emmanuel L├ęcharny wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> FYI, Pierre-Arnaud has started to experiment around the Apache CMS tools in order
to comply with the fact we have to stop using Confluence as our base for the Directory website.
You probably noticed that he created a branch for that.

> Indeed, we have a deadline set to the end of the year to migrate our website to use svnsubpub,
so I started playing around with this and the Apache CMS.
> At the moment, this is just a folder in my sandbox, but in the end it will be a specific
svn repository for the website (like the ones for apacheds, studio, etc).

> Here are some useful links if you're interested into that:
> - ASF Content Management System [1]
> - ASF CMS Reference [2]
> - ASF CMS Adoption [3]
> - Manage your project web site [4]
> - Instructions on the Apache Lucene website to update their website [5]
>

>> The idea is to move all what we have on various confluence spaces and are related
to the website, while keeping Confluence as a wiki for everything related to the project developments.

> I think we want to distinguish 2 kinds of sites:
> - the Apache Directory Project official site (http://directory.apache.org) and its sub-sites
for ApacheDS, Apache Directory Studio, the Apache Directory LDAP API.
> - our development sites (mainly confluence wiki) where we host some implementation details
and choices (diagrams)

> For the first category, which is directed towards the public and generates a high traffic,
we need to migrate to the new system.
> The second category is less important and almost only interesting for us, so I think
we can leave these things on Confluence, where it's easier to edit.

> In the next days, I will provide a first migration mockup of the site (I have a very
basic working one with fake content ATM).

> Regards,
> Pierre-Arnaud
>
> [1] - http://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html
> [2] - http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html
> [3] - http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsadoption.html
> [4] - http://www.apache.org/dev/project-site.html
> [5] - http://lucene.apache.org/site-instructions.html
>

>> Any comments and thoughts are welcomed !
>>
>> Note : I'll be almost MIA this week-end, as I'm going to be in the far west of France,
with barely no internet connection (Normandy is well known to be similar to North Korea when
it comes to intenet connection... ;)