directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <>
Subject Re: Questions regarding Aliases
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2012 12:47:17 GMT
Le 4/24/12 2:22 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot a écrit :
> On 24 avr. 2012, at 13:28, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>> Aliases handling is one of the biggest challenge in LDAP, as it imposes a lot of
constraints. First of all, keep in mind that Alias support is not mandatory.
>> Some of the problem we have when dealing with Alaises are :
>> - cycle detection : we should not allow the creation of an alias that causes a cycle
>> - duplicated entry removals in searches : we shuld not return an entry that has already
been returned
>> - unlinked aliases : when the aliased entry is removed, we should should handle it
>> - subtree searches with aliases : we may have a very high nunber of entries to return
>> - move operation : how do we handle the aliases modification when the aliased entries
is move ?
>> - cross-partitions aliases : how do we handle them ?
>> - replication of aliases
>> Right now, my concern is about duplicated entries removal and cycle detection, during
a search processing :
>> 1) Cycle detection :
>> Should we assume that the cycles are detected during the alias creation ? Or should
we detect it while processing the search ? (I'm nclined to think that cycle are forbidden
during their creation)
> I agree there should be a check during the creation of the entry (and move operations
too, I guess).
> But, I think we also need to check for cycles during the evaluation of the search.
> If we use a batch insert mode with the server turned off to insert a large number of
entries (even if we don't have such a possibility now, we might get it in a near future),
we might have this kind of inconsistencies in the database.
IMO, even if we provide a batch mode (which we have to provide in the
near future !), the we also must provide a check tool in order to be
sure that we haven't injected crap into the database.

Checking for cycle can be a costly operation...

Emmanuel Lécharny

View raw message