directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: Website migration
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2012 17:03:33 GMT
On 20 avr. 2012, at 11:56, Emmanuel L├ęcharny wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> FYI, Pierre-Arnaud has started to experiment around the Apache CMS tools in order to
comply with the fact we have to stop using Confluence as our base for the Directory website.
You probably noticed that he created a branch for that.

Indeed, we have a deadline set to the end of the year to migrate our website to use svnsubpub,
so I started playing around with this and the Apache CMS.
At the moment, this is just a folder in my sandbox, but in the end it will be a specific svn
repository for the website (like the ones for apacheds, studio, etc).

Here are some useful links if you're interested into that:
- ASF Content Management System [1]
- ASF CMS Reference [2]
- ASF CMS Adoption [3]
- Manage your project web site [4]
- Instructions on the Apache Lucene website to update their website [5]

> The idea is to move all what we have on various confluence spaces and are related to
the website, while keeping Confluence as a wiki for everything related to the project developments.

I think we want to distinguish 2 kinds of sites:
- the Apache Directory Project official site (http://directory.apache.org) and its sub-sites
for ApacheDS, Apache Directory Studio, the Apache Directory LDAP API.
- our development sites (mainly confluence wiki) where we host some implementation details
and choices (diagrams)

For the first category, which is directed towards the public and generates a high traffic,
we need to migrate to the new system.
The second category is less important and almost only interesting for us, so I think we can
leave these things on Confluence, where it's easier to edit.

In the next days, I will provide a first migration mockup of the site (I have a very basic
working one with fake content ATM).

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

[1] - http://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html
[2] - http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html
[3] - http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsadoption.html
[4] - http://www.apache.org/dev/project-site.html
[5] - http://lucene.apache.org/site-instructions.html

> Any comments and thoughts are welcomed !
>
> Note : I'll be almost MIA this week-end, as I'm going to be in the far west of France,
with barely no internet connection (Normandy is well known to be similar to North Korea when
it comes to intenet connection... ;)