directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: OC/AT ongoing refactoring
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 10:49:32 GMT
Sounds like a great first step to me.

Thanks,
Pierre-Arnaud

On 13 mars 2012, at 10:39, Emmanuel L├ęcharny wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> as I was just back from holliays yesterday, I started to work on something we discussed
a long time ago but never finished.

> The idea is to use immutable SchemaObject inside the server, as we *never* odify them.
AT, OC and such elements are meant to be immutable, once injected into the server.

> More than that, the way it's implemented in the server forbid a user to modify an existing
SchemaObject, the only possibility is to delete the old one and to add a replacement.

> This can lead to some complex situation though : if someone makes a mistake and wants
to fix it, the only solution is to delete the SchemaObject and to replace it, and this might
be impossible, because the SchemaManager will be checked against inconsistencies after the
delete, and the deletion might be rejected.

> One first step though is to use only immutable types inside the registries, as there
is no need to modify them.

> The other aspect is Studio, and more specifically the schema editor : we must be able
to modify the SchemaObjects, and we also must keep a track of the original SchemaObjects.
Having immutable SO allows us to do that in a more convenient way.