directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject [index] Is the SingletonCursor useful ?
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2012 07:39:55 GMT
Hi,

as I'm trying to go deeper into the Cursor hierarchy (which is quite
crazy, I must say, with 6 interfaces, 3 abstract classes and 38
implementations...), I found that we are creating a singletonCursor when
the underlying table does not allow duplicate values to be stored.

For instance, on JdbmTable, we have such code :

     public
Cursor<org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.model.cursor.Tuple<K, V>>
cursor( K key ) throws Exception
     {
         V raw = bt.find( key );

         if ( !allowsDuplicates )
         {
             return new
SingletonCursor<org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.model.cursor.Tuple<K, V>>(
                 new
org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.model.cursor.Tuple<K, V>( key, ( V )
raw ) );
         }

Why do we have such a cursor ? If we were using a normal cursor, anyway,
the previous() and next() method will just move out of the possible
array of values anyway, so the behaviour will be no different, right ?

Also I wonder why there is another method called cursor() which returns
a browsable cursor over the keys, when the previous cursor is just
creating a browsable cursor over the values. That's really confusing,
from the user perspective... It would be way easier if we can disconnect
the two kind of cursors : the class should return a key cursor, and a
get() on it will return the values, which will be another cursor (a
value cursor).

Here, we get the false feeling that calling cursor(K) returns a cursor
with an initial position set on the K key. Of course, it's also possible
to do the same thing by calling cursor().beforeKey(K), except that the
returned DupsCursor/NoDupsCursor we get with the call to Cursor will
*not* positionning the cursor on the given key, if we have got back a
NoDupsCursor...

May be I'm just lost here, or there is a bit of cleaning to do...

--
Regards,
Cordialement,