directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Txn Layer] WAL flush questions
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2012 18:32:42 GMT
Le 3/19/12 6:59 PM, Selcuk AYA a écrit :
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 10:41 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny<elecharny@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Le 3/19/12 6:26 PM, Selcuk AYA a écrit :

>>> I am confused about the buffering (or no buffering) you suggest. Are
>>> you suggesting a flush thread will use directly write off the user's
>>> buffer without any in mem copy?
>> Yes. In fact, I suggest we buffer the records, without copying them. When
>> the flush thread is waken up (or kicked), it will write the header, the
>> buffer, the  footer. We can use ByteBuffer gathering for that (see
>> http://tutorials.jenkov.com/java-nio/scatter-gather.html)
> I see.But this is effectively what we are doing right? Instead of
> putting the buffers in a queue and doing scatter/gather through byte
> buffer(which will eventually do a memcpy to do a single batched write
> I think), we copy into an in mem buffer and let the flushing thread to
> do the single batched write.
Yes, but you copy the user records into a temporary ByteBuffer, which
will be read and flushed. If you put the user records in a queue, you
don't need this extra copy, plus you don't need to allocate a 4Mb buffer
at all. That does not mean you won't suck those 4 Mb, if the queue is
not emptied fast enough by the flush thread, but in the general case,
you just end using less memory if the flush thread is awakened when some
data is present in the queue.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,