On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 10:20 AM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa@marcelot.net> wrote:
On 16 févr. 2012, at 09:13, Alex Karasulu wrote:
Hi Pierre,

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa@marcelot.net> wrote:
Hi Alex,

The last time I tried it was in August 2010.

By stripping down a few features here and there, I was able to run the LDAP Browser as a web app.

AFAIR, the features I removed were mostly very high level features like code proposals, field completion, etc. All these things were not available in the RAP runtime at the time.

Here are a few screenshots from the last experiment:

No matter how many times I see this it's like the first time. You know when you see a jet plane pass close overhead, no matter how many times you see it you're like WOW!

Yeah, the work accomplished by the RAP team is pretty slick!

We could probably build a smaller version of Studio quite easily in matter of a few days (without the features that are not available in RAP).
The difficulty would be find a way to have both versions (RCP and RAP) to rely on a same shared code base, without having a different branch for each version (which would force us to port any change on a branch to the other).
This would require an initial heavy refactoring.

I guess there's no way to conditionally enable/disable these features based on the target environment we intend to deploy to?

Unfortunately no…

This would cause some compilation (and then execution) issues because some classes/fields/methods simply doesn't exist in the RAP version of the runtime.
Studio wouldn't even compile or start in the app server… :(

Oh well - guess we're going to have to wait a little longer. Thanks for the feedback!

--
Best Regards,
-- Alex