directory-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Dn, Rdn and Ava inconstancies
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2012 18:36:11 GMT
On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 6:33 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> those last days, we had to fight with some issues with the way we handle
> DNs and its components :
> - creating entries with a RDN containing two times the same AT is not
> allowed by the spec
> - searching for an entry which RDN is cn=Doe+gn=John does not work when
> searching for gn=John+cn=Doe
> - renaming an entry on itself when we want to upercase a RDN is not
> possible when it should.
>
> Digging a bit into the code, I found that many cases weren't handled
> correctly, and the the API is not consistant. We also have issues with
> escaped characters.
>
> For instance, if we consider the Ava class, there are some methods that
> need to be renamed :
> o getUpName() should be renamed to getName() as Dn.getName() and
> Rdn.getName() are used
> o getUpType() should be renamed to getType() to be consistant with the
> previous rename
> o getUpValue() should also be renamed to getValue() for the very same
> reason.
>
> Now, when it comes to what the methods produce, here is a table showing
> the expected values :
>
> If the AVA is not schema aware :
>
>    getNormName()    "ou=exemple \+ rdn\C3\A4\ "
>    getNormType()    “ou”
>    getNormValue()    "exemple + rdnä "
>    getUpName()    "OU = Exemple \+ Rdn\C3\A4\ "
>    getUpType()    “OU“
>    getUpValue()    "Exemple + Rdnä "
>    normalize()    "ou=exemple \+ rdn\C3\A4\ "
>    toString()    "OU = Exemple \+ Rdn\C3\A4\ "
>
> and if the AVA is schema aware :
>
>    getNormName() “2.5.4.11=example \+ rdn\C3\A4\ ”
>    getNormType() “2.4.5.11”
>    getNormValue() “exemple + rdnä ”
>    getUpName() "OU = Exemple \+ Rdn\C3\A4\ "
>    getUpType() “OU“
>    getUpValue() "Exemple + Rdnä "
>    normalize() “2.5.4.11=example \+ rdn\C3\A4\ ”
>    toString() "OU = Exemple \+ Rdn\C3\A4\ "
>
> Currently, this is not what we get :
>
>    Ava.getNormName() returns 'ou=Exemple \\\+ Rdn\\C3\\A4\\\ '
>    Ava.getUpValue() returns 'Exemple \+ Rdn\C3\A4\ '
>    Ava.normalize() returns 'ou=Exemple \\\+ Rdn\\C3\\A4\\\ '
>
> The normalize() method seems useless.
>
>
> For RDN, we also have some method renaming to anticipate :
> o getUpType() should be renamed getType()
> o getUpValue() should be renamed getValue()
> o getValue(String) should be removed, we can grab the value using the
> getAva( String ) instead
>
> Same, for the expected values and the values we get :
>
>    getName()    "OU = Exemple \+ Rdn\C3\A4\ +cn=  TEST"
>    getNormName()    "ou=exemple \+ rdn\C3\A4\ "
>    getNormType()    "ou"
>    getNormValue()    "exemple + rdnä "
>    getUpType()    “OU“
>    getUpValue()    "Exemple \+ Rdn\C3\A4\ "
>    getValue(String)    "Exemple \+ Rdn\C3\A4\ " and “TEST”
>    toString()    "OU = Exemple \+ Rdn\C3\A4\ +cn=  TEST"
>
> and if the RDN is schema aware :
>
>    getName()    "OU = Exemple \+ Rdn\C3\A4\ +cn=  TEST"
>    getNormName()    “2.5.4.11=example \+ rdn\C3\A4\ ”
>    getNormType()    "2.5.4.3"
>    getNormValue()    “exemple + rdnä “
>    getUpType()    “OU“
>    getUpValue()    "Exemple \+ Rdn\C3\A4\ “
>    getValue(String)    "Exemple \+ Rdn\C3\A4\ " and “TEST”
>    toString()    "OU = Exemple \+ Rdn\C3\A4\ +cn=  TEST"
>
> This is what we get :
>
> Rdn.getNormName() returns 'ou=Exemple \+ Rdnä\ +cn=TEST'
> Rdn.getNormValue() returns 'Exemple + Rdnä '
> Rdn.getUpValue() returns ' Exemple \+ Rdn\C3\A4\ '
> Rdn.getValue( 'ou' ) returns 'Exemple + Rdnä '
> Rdn.getValue( 'test' ) returns ''
>
> Etc...
>
> I have not yet coded the tests for the schema aware AVA and RDN, but be
> sure we will get more inconsistencies. I still have to write down the same
> analysis for Dn, but this is the same story.
>
>
> We really need to fix those inconsistencies otherwise we will have endless
> issues. This is not the first time we are dealing with them, bt so far, we
> never had to face them for real, and we just tried our best to shoot the
> errors when they appear. I think it's time to play medieval on the code !
>

This makes a lot of sense. As things matured in the project we started
seeing more and more of the corner cases that we need to account for.  As
you say, we did this incrementally as we encountered various situations.

Over time this strains how this area of the library was designed. Naturally
you cannot account for everything and over time various choices see
obsolete as you patch and patch and patch the code.

Now after seeing so much of the corner cases and how the design may not be
supporting it cleanly, and efficiently, then sure re-architect it know that
we have the tests, history and the knowledge.

--
My 2 cents,
-- Alex

Mime
View raw message