directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Renaming an entry with a case insensitive RDN : how to handle it ?
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2012 18:49:52 GMT
On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecharny@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> let's suppose we have an entry like :
>
> dn: cn=john doe, ou=system
> objectclass: person
> cn: john doe
> sn: john doe
>
> Let's now suppose that we want to camel-case the cn to have an entry like :
>
> dn: cn=John Doe, ou=system
> objectclass: person
> cn: John Doe
> sn: john doe
>
> Currently ADS does not support such a modification : it considers that
> it's a modifcation of an entry on itself, and it's not allowed. (cn is case
> insensitive, so basically, it's really a modification on itself).

You saying this is two ops (modify + modifyDn) that is not allowable in one
shot?

> Now, from the user PoV, this is a bit painful, because even if cn is case
> insensitive, the user wants to see the DN as he provided it (after the
> rename, he may expect dn: cn=John Doe, ou=system).
>
> So
>
> Q1 : should we allow such a rename ? (it will modify the RDN *and* the
> attribute)

So OK I see now, you just did a moddn on the entry changing the DN to use
an camel humped cn value as the last name component when it was all lower
case.

Let's take the basis case to understand this a little better. Suppose we
did the moddn and it was a totally different CN such as 'foo bar' in your
example. In this case what does the protocol state? I think in this case
the cn: foo bar attribute value pair is automatically added to the entry
right?

Going back into our problem. If the difference in the new name is a case
change on a case insensitive name component attributeType then we should
preserve the case supplied by the user. In this case I would suggest
replacing the cn=john doe with cn=John Doe.

> Q2 : if we modify the cn only, should the RDN be modified too ?
> (currently, ADS does modify the CN, but not the RDN)
>
> wdyt ?

See above.

--
Best Regards,