directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: When was the last time we tried RAP for Studio?
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2012 08:13:42 GMT
Hi Pierre,

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa@marcelot.net>wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> The last time I tried it was in August 2010.
>
> By stripping down a few features here and there, I was able to run the
> LDAP Browser as a web app.
>
> AFAIR, the features I removed were mostly very high level features like
> code proposals, field completion, etc. All these things were not available
> in the RAP runtime at the time.
>
> Here are a few screenshots from the last experiment:
> http://people.apache.org/~pamarcelot/Studio_in_RAP/

No matter how many times I see this it's like the first time. You know when
you see a jet plane pass close overhead, no matter how many times you see
it you're like WOW!

> We could probably build a smaller version of Studio quite easily in matter
> of a few days (without the features that are not available in RAP).
> The difficulty would be find a way to have both versions (RCP and RAP) to
> rely on a same shared code base, without having a different branch for each
> version (which would force us to port any change on a branch to the other).
> This would require an initial heavy refactoring.

I guess there's no way to conditionally enable/disable these features based
on the target environment we intend to deploy to?

--
Best Regards,
-- Alex