directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Renaming the NetworkSchemaLoader
Date Sun, 05 Feb 2012 22:27:46 GMT
On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 8:35 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i'd like to rename the NetworkSchemaLoader to something like
> AdsSchemaLoader, as it's really dedicated to our own server (it reads the
> LDIF files from the schema partition in ou=schema).
>
> Now that the SsseSchemaLoader is working, we can access the schema from
> ADS in two ways :
> - reading it from cn=schema (SsseSchemaLoader)
> - reading it from ou=schema (AdsSchemaLoader)

Horrible descriptor name: can't we do better than these? I have no idea
what an SsseSchemaLoader is and I'm intimately familiar LDAP.

> For all the other servers, the way to go is to use the SsseSchemaLoader.
>
> It may also be a good idea to rename the SsseSchemaLoader to something
> more user friendly, like ServerSchemaLoader, to reflect what it does :

Remote to me means over the wire, a.k.a. over the network. So I'd use
AdsNetworkSchemaLoader instead of just AdsSL because it's more descriptive.
This Ssse thing has my head spinning.

> Wdyt ?
>
> Note : We have now 6 implementations of the SchemaLoader interface :
> - JarLdifSchemaLoader, loading the schemas from a jar containing our (ADS)
> schemas
> - LdifSchemaLoader, loading the schemas from a hierarchy of LDIF files
> (still in ADS format)
> - SingleLdifSchemaLoader, loading the schema from one big ldif file (ADS
> format)
> - SchemaEditorSchemaLoader, loading the schemas from files in XML or
> OpenLDAP format (used by Studio)
> - SsseSchemaLoader, loading the schema from a connected LDAP server, using
> the rootDSE subschemaSubentry attribute as a starting point

Ooooooohhhhh but how do we say this without saying this by picking a nice
name for this SchemaLoader? Maybe not so easy. Maybe ...
StandardNetworkSchemaLoader, or DefaultNetworkSchemaLoader ... idea is
using the standard LDAP mechanism by looking up the subschema subentry.

> - NetworkSchemaLoader, loading the schemas from ou=config in ADS.

I'd call this AdsNetworkSchemaLoader.

--
Best Regards,
-- Alex