directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: When was the last time we tried RAP for Studio?
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2012 08:20:36 GMT
On 16 févr. 2012, at 09:13, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Hi Pierre,
>
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa@marcelot.net> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> The last time I tried it was in August 2010.
>
> By stripping down a few features here and there, I was able to run the LDAP Browser as
a web app.

> AFAIR, the features I removed were mostly very high level features like code proposals,
field completion, etc. All these things were not available in the RAP runtime at the time.

> Here are a few screenshots from the last experiment:
> http://people.apache.org/~pamarcelot/Studio_in_RAP/
>

> No matter how many times I see this it's like the first time. You know when you see a
jet plane pass close overhead, no matter how many times you see it you're like WOW!

Yeah, the work accomplished by the RAP team is pretty slick!

> We could probably build a smaller version of Studio quite easily in matter of a few days
(without the features that are not available in RAP).
> The difficulty would be find a way to have both versions (RCP and RAP) to rely on a same
shared code base, without having a different branch for each version (which would force us
to port any change on a branch to the other).
> This would require an initial heavy refactoring.
>

> I guess there's no way to conditionally enable/disable these features based on the target
environment we intend to deploy to?

Unfortunately no…

This would cause some compilation (and then execution) issues because some classes/fields/methods
simply doesn't exist in the RAP version of the runtime.
Studio wouldn't even compile or start in the app server… :(

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud