directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: Renaming the NetworkSchemaLoader
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2012 09:09:53 GMT
I agree these names may not be very obvious for the casual user.

My personal preference would go to:
- DefaultNetworkSchemaLoader
- ApacheDsNetworkSchemaLoader (I find it more explicit than with 'Ads' as this class will
be in the API and people may not be very familiar with the 'Ads' prefix, no to say that many
people abbreviate Studio as ADS too)

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

On 5 févr. 2012, at 23:27, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 8:35 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i'd like to rename the NetworkSchemaLoader to something like AdsSchemaLoader, as it's
really dedicated to our own server (it reads the LDIF files from the schema partition in ou=schema).

> Now that the SsseSchemaLoader is working, we can access the schema from ADS in two ways
:
> - reading it from cn=schema (SsseSchemaLoader)
> - reading it from ou=schema (AdsSchemaLoader)
>

> Horrible descriptor name: can't we do better than these? I have no idea what an SsseSchemaLoader
is and I'm intimately familiar LDAP.

> For all the other servers, the way to go is to use the SsseSchemaLoader.
>
> It may also be a good idea to rename the SsseSchemaLoader to something more user friendly,
like ServerSchemaLoader, to reflect what it does : loading the schemas from a remote server.

> Remote to me means over the wire, a.k.a. over the network. So I'd use AdsNetworkSchemaLoader
instead of just AdsSL because it's more descriptive. This Ssse thing has my head spinning.

> Wdyt ?
>
> Note : We have now 6 implementations of the SchemaLoader interface :
> - JarLdifSchemaLoader, loading the schemas from a jar containing our (ADS) schemas
> - LdifSchemaLoader, loading the schemas from a hierarchy of LDIF files (still in ADS
format)
> - SingleLdifSchemaLoader, loading the schema from one big ldif file (ADS format)
> - SchemaEditorSchemaLoader, loading the schemas from files in XML or OpenLDAP format
(used by Studio)
> - SsseSchemaLoader, loading the schema from a connected LDAP server, using the rootDSE
subschemaSubentry attribute as a starting point

> Ooooooohhhhh but how do we say this without saying this by picking a nice name for this
SchemaLoader? Maybe not so easy. Maybe ... StandardNetworkSchemaLoader, or DefaultNetworkSchemaLoader
... idea is using the standard LDAP mechanism by looking up the subschema subentry.