directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: Binary attributes handling in the API
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2012 16:24:36 GMT
After some talk with Emmanuel, we think we would still need to have a list of binary attributes,
in addition to the list of syntaxes which also makes sense.

There are three use-cases:
1°/ The schema is not loaded => We filter binary values using the binary attributes list.
2°/ The schema is loaded, *and* the server indicates if the syntax of the AttributeType is
human readable or not => We filter binary values based on this information (that's the
most accurate information we could get).
3°/ The schema is loaded, *But* the server DOES NOT indicate if the syntax of the AttributeType
is human readable or not => We filter binary values using the binary syntaxes list (first)
and binary attributes list (second, if there's no match).

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

On 6 févr. 2012, at 16:58, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:

> On 2/6/12 4:11 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
>> I believe we need this list only in the case where no schema is loaded on the connection,
right?

> Sadly, no. For servers that don't expose the information about the non human readable
Syntax, we have to provide it. We use a X-IS-HUMAN-READABLE information in out LdapSyntax
elements in ApacheDS, other servers don't.