directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: When was the last time we tried RAP for Studio?
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2012 08:01:02 GMT
Hi Alex,

The last time I tried it was in August 2010.

By stripping down a few features here and there, I was able to run the LDAP Browser as a web
app.

AFAIR, the features I removed were mostly very high level features like code proposals, field
completion, etc. All these things were not available in the RAP runtime at the time.

Here are a few screenshots from the last experiment:
http://people.apache.org/~pamarcelot/Studio_in_RAP/

We could probably build a smaller version of Studio quite easily in matter of a few days (without
the features that are not available in RAP).
The difficulty would be find a way to have both versions (RCP and RAP) to rely on a same shared
code base, without having a different branch for each version (which would force us to port
any change on a branch to the other).
This would require an initial heavy refactoring.

My 2 cents.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

On 16 févr. 2012, at 05:43, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just wondering, we had experimented in the past with RAP, have we tried again recently
to see if the conversion to a web application works better?