directory-dev mailing list archives

From Howard Chu <...@symas.com>
Subject Re: Renaming an entry with a case insensitive RDN : how to handle it ?
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2012 19:48:14 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:
>     Q1 : should we allow such a rename ? (it will modify the RDN *and* the
>     attribute)
>

> So OK I see now, you just did a moddn on the entry changing the DN to use an
> camel humped cn value as the last name component when it was all lower case.
>
> Let's take the basis case to understand this a little better. Suppose we did
> the moddn and it was a totally different CN such as 'foo bar' in your example.
> In this case what does the protocol state? I think in this case the cn: foo
> bar attribute value pair is automatically added to the entry right?
>
> Going back into our problem. If the difference in the new name is a case
> change on a case insensitive name component attributeType then we should
> preserve the case supplied by the user.

Agreed, that's the rationale in OpenLDAP.

> In this case I would suggest replacing
> the cn=john doe with cn=John Doe.
>
>     Q2 : if we modify the cn only, should the RDN be modified too ?
>     (currently, ADS does modify the CN, but not the RDN)

The op is a Mod[R]DN, so absolutely, the most obvious thing that *should*
happen is to change the RDN. It's less obvious how to change the cn attribute.
E.g., if the delOldRDN flag was set, then I would expect a complete change,
but if not set, maybe the correct result is to have both "cn=john doe" and
"cn=John Doe" in the entry.

--
   -- Howard Chu