directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Renaming an entry with a case insensitive RDN : how to handle it ?
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:26:08 GMT
Hi guys,

let's suppose we have an entry like :

dn: cn=john doe, ou=system
objectclass: person
cn: john doe
sn: john doe

Let's now suppose that we want to camel-case the cn to have an entry like :

dn: cn=John Doe, ou=system
objectclass: person
cn: John Doe
sn: john doe

Currently ADS does not support such a modification : it considers that
it's a modifcation of an entry on itself, and it's not allowed. (cn is
case insensitive, so basically, it's really a modification on itself).

Now, from the user PoV, this is a bit painful, because even if cn is
case insensitive, the user wants to see the DN as he provided it (after
the rename, he may expect dn: cn=John Doe, ou=system).

So

Q1 : should we allow such a rename ? (it will modify the RDN *and* the
attribute)

Q2 : if we modify the cn only, should the RDN be modified too ?
(currently, ADS does modify the CN, but not the RDN)

wdyt ?

--
Regards,
Cordialement,