directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Schema handling in the API : a sum up
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2012 14:11:05 GMT
So let me summarize many aspects we have discussed about the schema
handling in the API in this mail.

 From the API POV, we should distinguish four cases :
- we don't want to load any schema
- we want to load a schema from a LDAP server
- we want to load a local schema (ie, from some files)

Case 1 : if we don't load any schema, then we won't have a
SchemaManager, and the API will not be schema aware. This is what
happens if you create a connection, and don't explicitely load a schema.
So far, we already can work this way.

Case 2 : here, we connect to the server, and load the schema which is
stored in the subschemaSubentry. This is done using the
LdapConnection.loadSchema() method, which reads the schema from the
SubschemaSubentry

Case 3 : we have 4 different schema loaders, depending on the file
format that contains the schema (Multiple Ldif files, Single Ldif file,
Jar, XML/OpenLDAP format files). In order to load a schema using one of
those format, we just have to create a SchemaManager, passing it a
SchemaLoader. If we want to use this SchemaManager in a connection, we
can pass it using the LdapConnection.setSchemaManager( schemaManager )
method (note : this method must be added to the interface). It's also
possible to do it directly by calling the LdapConnection.loadSchema(
SchemaLoader ), without creating a SchemaManager.

In any case, the third case is to be used by advanced users, most of the
users will either use the first or second solution.

Regarding the SchemaLoader names, we should keep it simple and explicit.
Here are some suggestions :
- DefaultSchemaLoader : loads the schema from the SubschemaSubentry.
It's currently named SsseSchemaLoader.
- (Ldif|JarLdif|SingleLdif)SchemaLoader : all the different format we
support in ApacheDS.
- SchemaEditorSchemaLoader : loads the schema from a XML file or an
OpenLDAP format
- SchemaPartitionSchemaLoader : This is to read the Schema from the
Apacheds ou=schema partition

Also it would be good to move the ApacheDS specific SchemaLoader
instances (ie, (Ldif|JarLdif|SingleLdif)SchemaLoader and
SchemaPartitionSchemaLoader) into the ApacheDS project, as they don't
belongs to the API. This will impact the tests, and we wil probably need
to create a new projects to hold all the attached tests.

Thoughts ?

--
Regards,
Cordialement,