directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ludovic Poitou <ludovic.poi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Renaming an entry with a case insensitive RDN : how to handle it ?
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2012 20:05:10 GMT

On Feb 15, 2012, at 20:48 , Howard Chu wrote:

> Alex Karasulu wrote:
>>    Q1 : should we allow such a rename ? (it will modify the RDN *and* the
>>    attribute)
>>

>> So OK I see now, you just did a moddn on the entry changing the DN to use an
>> camel humped cn value as the last name component when it was all lower case.
>>
>> Let's take the basis case to understand this a little better. Suppose we did
>> the moddn and it was a totally different CN such as 'foo bar' in your example.
>> In this case what does the protocol state? I think in this case the cn: foo
>> bar attribute value pair is automatically added to the entry right?
>>
>> Going back into our problem. If the difference in the new name is a case
>> change on a case insensitive name component attributeType then we should
>> preserve the case supplied by the user.
>
> Agreed, that's the rationale in OpenLDAP.
Same for OpenDJ.

>> In this case I would suggest replacing
>> the cn=john doe with cn=John Doe.
>>
>>    Q2 : if we modify the cn only, should the RDN be modified too ?
>>    (currently, ADS does modify the CN, but not the RDN)
>
> The op is a Mod[R]DN, so absolutely, the most obvious thing that *should* happen is to
change the RDN. It's less obvious how to change the cn attribute. E.g., if the delOldRDN flag
was set, then I would expect a complete change, but if not set, maybe the correct result is
to have both "cn=john doe" and "cn=John Doe" in the entry.

That would be against the LDAP specifications, as the 2 values are equals per the CaseIgnoreString
equality matching rule.

I think I would leave up to the server implementation, if the delOldRDN is not set. There
is nothing in LDAP that mandates that the RDN and the attribute in the entry have exactly
the same representation (i.e. preservation of case for case insensitive strings).

My 2 cents,

Ludovic.

> --
>  -- Howard Chu