directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: Schema handling in the API : a sum up
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2012 15:08:54 GMT

On 6 févr. 2012, at 15:11, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> So let me summarize many aspects we have discussed about the schema handling in the API
in this mail.

> From the API POV, we should distinguish four cases :
> - we don't want to load any schema
> - we want to load a schema from a LDAP server
> - we want to load a local schema (ie, from some files)
>

> Case 1 : if we don't load any schema, then we won't have a SchemaManager, and the API
will not be schema aware. This is what happens if you create a connection, and don't explicitely
load a schema. So far, we already can work this way.

> Case 2 : here, we connect to the server, and load the schema which is stored in the subschemaSubentry.
This is done using the LdapConnection.loadSchema() method, which reads the schema from the
SubschemaSubentry

> Case 3 : we have 4 different schema loaders, depending on the file format that contains
the schema (Multiple Ldif files, Single Ldif file, Jar, XML/OpenLDAP format files). In order
to load a schema using one of those format, we just have to create a SchemaManager, passing
it a SchemaLoader. If we want to use this SchemaManager in a connection, we can pass it using
the LdapConnection.setSchemaManager( schemaManager ) method (note : this method must be added
to the interface). It's also possible to do it directly by calling the LdapConnection.loadSchema(
SchemaLoader ), without creating a SchemaManager.

Looks good to me.

To it's a 2+2 cases.

- First choice: Do I want to load the schema? 'Yes' or 'No'.
- Second choice: In the case I want to load the schema, do I do that in a "generic" way or
do I want to specifically provide the way the schema is loaded (either by using one of the
built-in schema loaders or by providing my own implementation of the interface).

> In any case, the third case is to be used by advanced users, most of the users will either
use the first or second solution.

Completely agreed. That's the "advanced mode".

> Regarding the SchemaLoader names, we should keep it simple and explicit. Here are some
suggestions :
> - DefaultSchemaLoader : loads the schema from the SubschemaSubentry. It's currently named
SsseSchemaLoader.

I'm good with that (whether it contains 'Network' or not…). All in all, this class will
mostly never be seen by the user as it will be configured under the hood as the default way
to load the schema.

> - (Ldif|JarLdif|SingleLdif)SchemaLoader : all the different format we support in ApacheDS.
> - SchemaEditorSchemaLoader : loads the schema from a XML file or an OpenLDAP format
> - SchemaPartitionSchemaLoader : This is to read the Schema from the Apacheds ou=schema
partition

These other three looks good too.

> Also it would be good to move the ApacheDS specific SchemaLoader instances (ie, (Ldif|JarLdif|SingleLdif)SchemaLoader
and SchemaPartitionSchemaLoader) into the ApacheDS project, as they don't belongs to the API.

+1, API should be as generic as possible. Specific things related to ApacheDS should probably
belong there.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud