directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Moving DIRSHARED into DIRAPI, take 2
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2012 18:25:12 GMT
On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 6:50 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 1/24/12 5:25 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 3:47 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot<pa@marcelot.net>*
>> *wrote:
>>
>>  On 24 janv. 2012, at 14:33, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>>>
>>>  Hi guys,

>>> DIRAPI. We have had 5 +1 votes for it, but the operation was not done,
>>> because we didn't decide if API should be moved to SHARED or the
>>> opposite.
>>>
>>>  I have just the opposite view. DIRAPI should be merged into DIRSHARED
>> but
>> for now I suggest a hold. These are really trivial matters and we should
>> not be inducing unnecessary turnover without a significant gain when we
>> have two big branches of critical importance in motion.
>>
>> Can we just lay this to rest until mid-year this year and then have a full
>> discussion about it?
>>
> Shared is a dead space right now. I really don't mind merging API into
> shared, and killing API, except that for users, SHARED means absolutely
> nothing, when API is the Jira project they will use for bugs they meet when
> using the LDAP API. So IMHO, API is really more important than SHARED, even
> if SHARED is potentially something we may want to keep around.

With you on this and I can support both views myself. What I am trying to
say is ... I agree with you on some of these points but similar arguments
can be made in both directions just as well. Nothing screams out in either
direction from the semantics point of view: so in the end this is just
semantics.

The important point is to preserve some of the historical investments made
under these JIRA URLs and SVN paths. It's less disruptive and easier to
merge API into SHARED than the other way around and technically the LDAP
API is part of the code shared by both studio and apacheds.

IMHO there are bigger fish we need to fry than this one, being at best a
really minor issue. I'm weighing in on less disruption when no particular
direction has an overwhelming benefit.

--
Best Regards,
-- Alex