directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How Authenticators and PasswordPolicies will be managed in new component design.
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2012 13:01:29 GMT
On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 2:33 AM, Göktürk Gezer <gokturk.gezer@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Again,
>
> It seems lots of things are structured like that. Partitions,servers are
> all have inner entries.There are partition-indexes and transports those
> have same problem. I must develop some way to allow such structure.
> Component-hub must have component type specific code to handle these
> things. So i'll work on that before everything. But you can still say if
> Authenticators must be extensible....
>
> Regards,
> Gokturk

Hi All,

Gokturk and I had a discussion yesterday regarding this topic. Basically
authenticators and password policies can be considered top level
configurable elements unlike indices for example that are specifically tied
to their partitions.

Although Authenticators and PasswordPolicies are managed under the
AuthenticationInterceptor they are top level elements. The
AuthenticationInterceptor just happens to be where functionally their
maintenance made sense in the past. This might change and we might manage
these in the DirectoryService to denote their first class component status.
However PPs and Authenticators are clearly different from a Partition's
Index which is really tied to the partition where as these components are
not really tied the AuthenticationInterceptor.

I think this makes me believe that the AuthenticationInterceptor should not
manage these components but just leverage them by accessing them from the
DirectoryService. The DirectoryService should really manage these top level
components.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Alex