directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: Moving DIRSHARED into DIRAPI, take 2
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2012 13:47:27 GMT
On 24 janv. 2012, at 14:33, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> last summer, a [VOTE] has been started about merging DIRShARED with DIRAPI. We have had
5 +1 votes for it, but the operation was not done, because we didn't decide if API should
be moved to SHARED or the opposite.

> I understand that there are some concerns :
> - we may lose some track in the code/commit to specific references to the removed space
> - API is more than just SHARED
>
> The first concern will be mitigated if we simply move opened issues from SHARED to API,
laving the old SHARED issues in SHARED. In other words, we will keep SHARED as a space, but
it won't accept anymore issues.

> The second concern is more interesting, IMO. The pb here is that the API is a bit more
than SHARED. SHARED was supposed to store all the elements common to Studio and ADS (plus
some side projects like TripleSec and Kerberos). If we remove SHARED to only keep API, then
we will cover more than just what is in common, but also some specific parts that may not
be interesting for kerberos, for instance.

> However, right now, I think it's the right move, not perfect but convenient.
>
> I just had to move all the opened issues from shared 1.0.0-M9 to 1.0.0-M10, and closed
the revision, one week after the release for API has been done. It will occur again, as we
don't anymore check SHARED before we vote a release.

> In a near future, we may decide to split the API in two parts :
> - a common set of classes, namely SHARED (could have been commons-ldap too), whch could
be used by the server, studio, kerberos or whatever component.
> - a specific set of clesses for the LDAP-API.
>
> However, I'm not sure this make a lot of sense, as the server uses the LDAP-API for replication,
and Kerberos is not yet a separate project, plus Studio is using the LDAP-API fully.

> Thoughts ?

My POV hasn't changed since last august and I tend to favor a merge from DIRSHARED to DIRAPI,
as long as we advertise the release package as the "Apache Directory LDAP API".

Clearly, having two JIRA projects for the same code-base is really confusing and doesn't help
when cutting releases.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud