directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moving DIRSHARED into DIRAPI, take 2
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2012 16:50:53 GMT
On 1/24/12 5:25 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 3:47 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot<pa@marcelot.net>wrote:
>
>> On 24 janv. 2012, at 14:33, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> last summer, a [VOTE] has been started about merging DIRShARED with
>> DIRAPI. We have had 5 +1 votes for it, but the operation was not done,
>> because we didn't decide if API should be moved to SHARED or the opposite.
>>
> I have just the opposite view. DIRAPI should be merged into DIRSHARED but
> for now I suggest a hold. These are really trivial matters and we should
> not be inducing unnecessary turnover without a significant gain when we
> have two big branches of critical importance in motion.
>
> Can we just lay this to rest until mid-year this year and then have a full
> discussion about it?
Shared is a dead space right now. I really don't mind merging API into
shared, and killing API, except that for users, SHARED means absolutely
nothing, when API is the Jira project they will use for bugs they meet
when using the LDAP API. So IMHO, API is really more important than
SHARED, even if SHARED is potentially something we may want to keep around.

What I would suggest here is the following :
- we keep SHARED space for future use, when we will reorganize shared to
separate what is really common and what is specific to the API
- but at the same time, we move every opened issue from shared to API
- when we release the API, we also mark SHARED as released.

The idea is to avoid having pending issues into a space where they do
not belongs to.

> I want these branches merged (key here is easily) and
> a solid release with OSGi and TxN integrity.
That's a different thing. We all want solid releases with OSGi and TxN,
but we are nit close to be ready to provide them :) In the mean time, we
also need a cleaner place for Studio and the Api...

--
Regards,
Cordialement,