directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Server-integ tst faiure : a question
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2012 00:25:53 GMT
Hi,

I'm facing an interesting issue :
- we are trying to add a new entry
- this entry has a RDN which is a SingleValue AT (DisplayName)
- there already is a DisplayName Attribute present
- the RDN and the present value are different.

Here is the entry :
dn: displayName=test,ou=system
objectClass: top
objectClass: person
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
objectClass: organizationalPerson
displayName: Michael
sn: Michael Jackson
cn: Jackson

(displayName is a SingleValue AT)

In trunks, the entry is added, and the existing Attribute is removed,
and replaced by displayName: test

In Selcuk's branch, due to some modifications I've done recently in the
way we normalize added entries, we get an exception.

Now, it leads  a question : should we accept the entry, modifying it on
the fly, or should we reject the addition ?

IMHO, I do think that accepting the entry as is would lead to a
violation of the user's will : ie, the risk is that the user has made a
mistake when describing the entry, and should be informed about this
mistake, instead of 'reparing' the mistake.

wdyt ?

(FYI, the failing test is in server-integ, AddIT,
testAddEntryDifferentRDNSingleValuedInEntry())

--
Regards,
Cordialement,