directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: [Studio] Releasing a first milestone for version 2.0 (2.0.0-M1) soon?
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2012 16:34:09 GMT
Thanks for your answers guys.

I have committed the final updates for a release of this version (mainly features and updatesite
related) and I will try to propose a release tomorrow.

It will be a good test to see if we're still able to release the project more than 20 months
after the last release (so many things have changed…).

In order to release Studio, I will also need to release versions of Shared (LDAP API) and
ApacheDS.
I'm wondering if we should consider these releases as new milestone release for these two
projects (1.0.0-M9 for Shared and 2.0.0-M4 for ApacheDS).
WDYT?

About the Studio release, development isn't over yet. There are still some things to tweak
and update (like the documentation, a few translations missing), as well as small know issues,
like an issue with the SchemaManager not reporting a few error case when checking the schema.
But, overall, the application works great and I expect to address all of these issues in the
next iterations.

So, tomorrow, be ready for some release commits (with rollbacks I guess, as usual…) and
a new vote thread to celebrate 2012.

Cheers,
Pierre-Arnaud

On 20 déc. 2011, at 22:19, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 9:32 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/20/11 7:09 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
> Hi (again) guys,
>
> As you might have noticed, I took some time last week to go on a JIRA fixing campaign
on Apache Directory Studio.

> With the recent developments, I think we are nearing a possible release of a first milestone
for version 2.0.
> Of course, it still needs some work but various reasons makes me think we should probably
consider releasing the first milestone really soon:

> 1°/ It's been more than 20 months since the last release (April 5th, 2010).
> That's really a shame, but it's the reality… :(
> Such a long time without a release gives a very bad impression on users.
> Almost like if Studio was an abandoned project...
>
> 2°/ Milestone releases worked well on the API and ApacheDS.
> We've had some great results from milestone releases on these projects.
> Even if they are not stable and production-ready yet, they have helped us get back in
touch with our users and forced us to focus on specific key-features for each iteration.

> 3°/ A hell lot of things have changed in Studio, with lots of improvements and bug fixes.
> I can't name everything but it includes things like:
> - the inclusion of the Apache Directory LDAP API as network provider (as a replacement
for JNDI - which is still selectable)