On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 9:32 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <email@example.com>
It will be a milestone, you don't have to be too cautious, IMO. Just go for it when you think it's ready.
On 12/20/11 7:09 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
Hi (again) guys,
As you might have noticed, I took some time last week to go on a JIRA fixing campaign on Apache Directory Studio.
With the recent developments, I think we are nearing a possible release of a first milestone for version 2.0.
Of course, it still needs some work but various reasons makes me think we should probably consider releasing the first milestone really soon:
1°/ It's been more than 20 months since the last release (April 5th, 2010).
That's really a shame, but it's the reality… :(
Such a long time without a release gives a very bad impression on users.
Almost like if Studio was an abandoned project...
2°/ Milestone releases worked well on the API and ApacheDS.
We've had some great results from milestone releases on these projects.
Even if they are not stable and production-ready yet, they have helped us get back in touch with our users and forced us to focus on specific key-features for each iteration.
3°/ A hell lot of things have changed in Studio, with lots of improvements and bug fixes.
I can't name everything but it includes things like:
- the inclusion of the Apache Directory LDAP API as network provider (as a replacement for JNDI - which is still selectable)
- the use of Shared's SchemaManager in the Schema Editor
- the rewrite of the ApacheDS plugins into something more open, the LDAP Servers plugin
- the new ApacheDS V2 Configuration Plugin which edits via LDAP and LDIF the configuration of an ApacheDS 2.0 server
- the update of Eclipse dependencies and launchers to the latest and greatest versions
- many bug fixes, improvements and feature requests
This mail isn't to vote about the release yet. A few things really need to be polished first.
But I'd like to get your thoughts about a possible release of a first milestone for version 2.0 in the next days/weeks.
Agree w/ Emm here ...