directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Studio] Setting the 'Apache Directory LDAP API' as the default network provider
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2011 18:03:27 GMT
On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 11:13 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot
<pa@marcelot.net> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Today, I have introduced a change in the Connection Core plugin of Apache Directory Studio
to set the 'Apache Directory LDAP API' as the default network provider, instead of JNDI.

> I think it's safe to say that the LDAP API is now a great alternative to JNDI.
> It might still lack a few features here and there, like pulling a schema manager from
a connection or the lack a connection pool, but from Studio's standpoint, each feature we
used from JNDI has now an equivalent in the LDAP API.

> I have added a new setting in the 'Connections' preferences page [1] where the user can
choose its preferred default network provider (either 'Apache Directory LDAP API', the default
value, or 'JNDI').
> The user can still decide which network provider to use on a per connection basis in
the 'New Connection' Wizard page or the 'Connection' Properties page [2].

> I believe this move can give a lot of credit to the LDAP API and help us promote it towards
the general public. (It might also be helpful in the beginning to help find hidden bugs I
guess.)

> WDYT?
> Should we go in this direction or should we rollback to 'JNDI' as default setting?

+1 to keep the client API as default provider
thanks Pierre-Arnaud

--
Kiran Ayyagari