directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject [Studio] Setting the 'Apache Directory LDAP API' as the default network provider
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2011 17:43:10 GMT
Hi guys,

Today, I have introduced a change in the Connection Core plugin of Apache Directory Studio
to set the 'Apache Directory LDAP API' as the default network provider, instead of JNDI.

I think it's safe to say that the LDAP API is now a great alternative to JNDI.
It might still lack a few features here and there, like pulling a schema manager from a connection
or the lack a connection pool, but from Studio's standpoint, each feature we used from JNDI
has now an equivalent in the LDAP API.

I have added a new setting in the 'Connections' preferences page [1] where the user can choose
its preferred default network provider (either 'Apache Directory LDAP API', the default value,
or 'JNDI').
The user can still decide which network provider to use on a per connection basis in the 'New
Connection' Wizard page or the 'Connection' Properties page [2].

I believe this move can give a lot of credit to the LDAP API and help us promote it towards
the general public. (It might also be helpful in the beginning to help find hidden bugs I
guess.)

WDYT?
Should we go in this direction or should we rollback to 'JNDI' as default setting?

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

[1] - http://cl.ly/Cl1B
[2] - http://cl.ly/CkPF