directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: Partition.bind : do we need it ?
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2011 10:26:24 GMT
On 1 déc. 2011, at 11:08, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> following the last mails from Jason, it seems that having a bind() method in the Partition
interface is a bt misleading. We most certainly don't need it, and currently, it does nothing.
Moreover, the authenticationInterceptor does *not* call next.bind(), so there is no way the
bind operation can percolate through the chain to the Partition.

> We discussed about this with Pierre Arnaud this morning, and I removed the method from
the Partitio interface, t has no impact on the code so far (it's an experiment, I haven't
committed anything yet).

> So do you think we can get rid of the bind() method in the Partition interface ?

Analyzing the current situation and implementations, it looks like this method isn't really
used.
Its only real implementation, in AbstractBTreePartition<ID>, throws an LdapAuthenticationNotSupportedException
and other implementations, in DefaultPartitionNexus and SchemaPartition, are only following
the call to the wrapped partition.
It really seems useless to me.

+1 for the removal.

Regards,