directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How do we handle recursive requests wrt transactions ?
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2011 17:59:25 GMT
On 12/21/11 6:36 PM, Selcuk AYA wrote:

>>> We have two options:
>>> * Have a txn context per request. Store context with cursor, then when
>>> user switches into cursor, restore its context, when it is leaving
>>> cursor, remove txn context. This way you dont have to deal with txn
>>> ref count or txn upgrade. I did something like this with jdbm browsers
>>> so that implementation there was totally hidden from the upper layers.
>>>
>>> *In embedded case, leave it to the user to determine the txn
>>> boundaries. This way things like recursive delete thorugh ldap core
>>> connection would meaningfully work .
>> Now, I'm thinking that option 1 is probably better. All in all, if some user
>> of our server (not embedded) is doing a recursive search, we have to
>> guarantee that it will work, whatever add/delete/modify he does in the
>> middle, and without exposing the txns. In embedded mode, we should do the
>> same thing, IMO. If it works for server-integ, it should also work for
>> core-integ.
> I agree that option 1 is better and what the user experiences will be
> the same with what he experiences through ldap request handlers.
>
> One thing that might make life easier is if we do this thing at
> CoreSession layer. I originally was against this as layers above
> CoreSession might want to group requests into txns. However we can
> still allow the layers above CoreSession group multiple requests into
> a txn by checking if txn is already enabled at CoreSession layer.
> Overall, this might decrease the number of changes.

Now that I have cleaned up my environment by committing some side
modifications I had, I can start experimenting this approach.

Note that the errors I get with the latest revision of your branch are
the exact same than the one you exposed in your mail last week.

I'll keep working on this code until friday, FYI.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,