directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Studio] Releasing a first milestone for version 2.0 (2.0.0-M1) soon?
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2011 19:32:16 GMT
On 12/20/11 7:09 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
> Hi (again) guys,
>
> As you might have noticed, I took some time last week to go on a JIRA fixing campaign
on Apache Directory Studio.

> With the recent developments, I think we are nearing a possible release of a first milestone
for version 2.0.
> Of course, it still needs some work but various reasons makes me think we should probably
consider releasing the first milestone really soon:

> 1°/ It's been more than 20 months since the last release (April 5th, 2010).
> That's really a shame, but it's the reality… :(
> Such a long time without a release gives a very bad impression on users.
> Almost like if Studio was an abandoned project...
>
> 2°/ Milestone releases worked well on the API and ApacheDS.
> We've had some great results from milestone releases on these projects.
> Even if they are not stable and production-ready yet, they have helped us get back in
touch with our users and forced us to focus on specific key-features for each iteration.

> 3°/ A hell lot of things have changed in Studio, with lots of improvements and bug fixes.
> I can't name everything but it includes things like:
> - the inclusion of the Apache Directory LDAP API as network provider (as a replacement
for JNDI - which is still selectable)
> - the use of Shared's SchemaManager in the Schema Editor
> - the rewrite of the ApacheDS plugins into something more open, the LDAP Servers plugin
> - the new ApacheDS V2 Configuration Plugin which edits via LDAP and LDIF the configuration
of an ApacheDS 2.0 server
> - the update of Eclipse dependencies and launchers to the latest and greatest versions
> - many bug fixes, improvements and feature requests
>
> This mail isn't to vote about the release yet. A few things really need to be polished
first.
> But I'd like to get your thoughts about a possible release of a first milestone for version
2.0 in the next days/weeks.

It will be a milestone, you don't have to be too cautious, IMO. Just go
for it when you think it's ready.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,