directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <seelm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: TXN work update
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2011 19:02:05 GMT
On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Selcuk AYA <ayaselcuk@gmail.com> wrote:
> I discussed using generics for ID with Emmanuel a little more. The
> related change is mostly mechanical but it is a big change so I would
> like to see if people have any opinion. Remember that alongside with
> transaction changes, we are going towards a generic transactional
> modification layer on top of partitions and a transactional search
> engine that can work with any partition. Default search engine
> achieves what we want in this sense but it works with Store interface
> rather than Partition interface. Default Search Engine is designed to
> work with generic ID. Store interface also uses generic ID. Now, if we
> want to move DefaultSearchEngine to core and want it to work with
> Partition interfaces, we have to options:
> 1)Make partition interface parametrized too. Change it to
> Partition<ID> and make it expose master tables and indices using
> generic ID. DefaultSearch engine can currently work with such an
> interface. We will also make the transactional modification layer use
> this parametrized interface.We will also need to implement partitions
> using the generic  ID type rather than Long or UUID
>
> 2) Use UUID all over rather than generics. Basically get rid of
> generic ID type. Change search engine to use UUID as well.

+1 to the 2nd option.

I introduced the generid <ID> two years ago [1] while I as was
implementing the HBase partition prototype. Prior to that the ID was a
Long which didn't work well with HBase. Now that we all agree that
UUID should be used I see no reason why the generic ID should be kept.

Kind Regards,
Stefan

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-1472