directory-dev mailing list archives

From Selcuk AYA <ayasel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: TXN work update
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2011 08:12:43 GMT
I discussed using generics for ID with Emmanuel a little more. The
related change is mostly mechanical but it is a big change so I would
like to see if people have any opinion. Remember that alongside with
transaction changes, we are going towards a generic transactional
modification layer on top of partitions and a transactional search
engine that can work with any partition. Default search engine
achieves what we want in this sense but it works with Store interface
rather than Partition interface. Default Search Engine is designed to
work with generic ID. Store interface also uses generic ID. Now, if we
want to move DefaultSearchEngine to core and want it to work with
Partition interfaces, we have to options:
1)Make partition interface parametrized too. Change it to
Partition<ID> and make it expose master tables and indices using
generic ID. DefaultSearch engine can currently work with such an
interface. We will also make the transactional modification layer use
this parametrized interface.We will also need to implement partitions
using the generic  ID type rather than Long or UUID

2) Use UUID all over rather than generics. Basically get rid of
generic ID type. Change search engine to use UUID as well.

First option has the flexibility of changing ID to a different type
but I am not sure it makes sense to change the ID from release to
release. I am inclined to go with the second option at the moment.

regards,
Selcuk