directory-dev mailing list archives

From Göktürk Gezer <gokt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ApacheDS in OSGi
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2011 23:26:47 GMT
On Nov 9, 2011 1:16 AM, "Christoph Czurda" <hasnoadditives@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/08/2011 08:00 PM, Göktürk Gezer wrote:
>>

>> On Nov 8, 2011 8:43 PM, "Christoph Czurda" <hasnoadditives@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> > Hello!
>> >
>> > I would like to know about the status of ApacheDS and OSGi. I saw that
there is a dedicated branch on SVN and I read that some parts of the server
are now OSGi compliant.

>> Yes, we are working heavily on moving ApacheDS to OSGI. However it is
not fully functional in any container for now.

>> > Does the server already run in a container, eg. Karaf? If so, how does
it work? How can I deploy it?

>> It can work on Karaf, but still need lots of work. We don't just want it
to work on OSGI, we also want it to be fully extendible. So, we're changing
the codebase to make it fit on OSGI model both as logic and code. Once
we're done, you will see the custom karaf container as a part of the
ApacheDS build.

> So once you're done, starting ApacheDS means starting Karaf with ApacheDS
running inside? This would be great because then ApacheDS can be run in any
Karaf container in any other project.

Yes, that's the plan.

> By 'custom karaf container' you mean that you are going to extend the
karaf shell commands? Or are there other things you want to customize /
extend?

I mean the default way of launching the ApacheDS will be through custom
Karaf distribution which will be generated in maven build. We may also
provide Karaf commands to manage ApacheDS instances in container.