directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Questions about the design of the "component-hub"
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2011 10:28:17 GMT
On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/28/11 10:56 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 2:25 AM, Göktürk Gezer<gokturk@apache.org>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Devs,
>>> As i go through implementing component-hub, i couldn't think clearly
>>> about
>>> some things, so i need some pointers on them. I've made some decisions on
>>> code based on my experiments but i need to hear more from you on these
>>> specific issues.
>>> component-hub is responsible for providing main extendibility facilities,
>>> which contains the DIT configuration hooks. component-hub is providing
>>> the
>>> DIT configuration hooks as a way for users to configure the component
>>> instances.( the instance of a EventInterceptor for example). Then some
>>> DirectoryListener implementation will listen for specified DIT entries
>>> for
>>> changes and then reconfigure the instances. First question is whether
>>> should
>>> i use PersistentSearch or implement DirectoryListener interface myself.
>>> DirectoryListeners are called by EventInterceptor so that will make the
>>> listening code have to go through LdapCoreSession. How PersistentSearch
>>> is
>>> different? Is there any mechanism other than these two??
>>
>> OBJECTIVE: Detect changes to LDAP backed component configurations and
>> react to them.
>>
>> PersistentSearch is a protocol mechanism (over the wire) used to
>> detect changes to entries (in remote LDAP servers) implemented using
>> controls. You issue a search request with the persistent search
>> control and specifying an area of the DIT to watch. The search never
>> completes unless you abort it and it just sends you back entries if
>> they change with a control indicting the nature of the change. It's a
>> hack if you ask me. So this mechanism can work for remote and local
>> servers but you'll go through the wire, the protocol, and will pay a
>> big price for it from the number of threads used to encoding/decoding
>> etc etc.
>>
>> Another way to detect changes but only to a local (in the same process
>> space) DIT, is by using the event listener mechanism provided by the
>> Event subsystem of the DirectoryService. This does essentially the
>> same thing that persistent search does for the same local directory
>> service but better and with less overhead. "Better", in that it allows
>> you to see exactly what attributes changed and how which is a tiny bit
>> more resolution than from the response control you get back with the
>> persistent search mechanism.
>>
>> SO YOU SHOULD MOST LIKELY USE THE EVENT MECHANISM. This because:
>>
>> 1). You're local to the data anyway, configuring local components
>> 2). Less overhead, more efficient faster ... yada yada
>> 3). It's a better programatic interface.
>> 4). Does everything you need it to do.
>>
>> This of course is for the solid state of configuration in DIT
> [...]

That solves a great deal of problems. So the configuration partition
is setup and available for reads without having to setup any other
ApacheDS machinery?

Is the raw partition used for access? How is this going to change with
some of the movements done by Selcuk to move search out of the
partition into an upper layer?

--
Best Regards,
-- Alex