directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Implementing Interceptor Extendibility
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2011 18:52:39 GMT
On 10/31/11 10:17 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> [...]
>> them from InterceptorHub rather then DirectoryService.getInterceptors(). So
>> it will get the most recent list of interceptors every time.
>>

> OK
>
> Just a question: why not just make the InterceptorChain act as or perform
> the duties of the hub? I guess the hub is intended as an internal component
> of the chain that hides some details relating to OSGi from the chain?
>

>> Currently in our config.ldif file, there is an interceptors entries. We
>> can leave those entries there for specifying mandatory interceptors. So if
>> any of them is not exists at the time server is starting we can throw an
>> exception saying necessary interceptor is not exist. But we won't be have
>> to list additional interceptors in that list. They will be automatically
>> attached to the active ApacheDS instances.
>>
>> We'll also change the Interceptor implementations to be an IPojo
>> component. Those components will publish two main properties. First is
>> their ordering and the second is their bypass list.
>>
>> Ordering is something we've talked about but i couldn't get a clear
>> explanation about it. What i suggest is like this: we publish three kind of
>> ordering from interceptor: strict, level and relax. "strict" means strict
>> ordering, this will be published from core interceptors and that strict
>> order will create a level. If we publish it as level we must also attach an
>> index with it, such as level-3. If we publish it as relax it means it can
>> be called anywhere in the chain after the strict ones. So lets suppose we
>> documented the core interceptor ordering like:
>>
>> 1- InterceptorA
>> 2- InterceptorB
>> 3- InterceptorC
>>
>> So there is 3 level in interceptor chain. If somebody implement an
>> additional interceptor named InterceptorD and publish its ordering
>> as level-2, it is saying it must be called after InterceptorA(level-1). So
>> the new list will be:
>>
>> 1- InterceptorA
>> 2- InterceptorD
>>      InterceptorB
>> 3- InterceptorC
>>
>> I didnt't numbered B as 3 but rather i grouped it with the InterceptorD,
>> putting InterceptorD above it. Why? What happens if vendor wants to
>> implement two custom interceptor named InterceptorD and InterceptorE and
>> want 2 of them to be called right after InterceptorA(after 1th level) but
>> want InterceptorD to be called first. So we must suborder those 2
>> interceptors. That's why i treated the first core list as levels rather
>> than orders ! So the ordering which is published from custom interceptor is
>> not sufficient to describe good ordering. We must also publish subordering
>> which specifies the ordering between that specific vendor's interceptors.
>>

> This is rather interesting. This approach never occurred to me but it's
> appealing. I'll give this some thought and also would like to hear from

Jumping on Göktürk idea, some proposal.

We all know that the core interceptors are to be executed in a given
order. Calling the NormalizationInterceptor after the
CollectiveAttributeInterceptor does not make any sense.

OTOH, we allow the admin to modify the order, simply by changing the
configuration, and it could lead to some bad bad things...

What if we create an implicit order by defining which interceptor is
allowed before each interceptor ? For instance, this is the default order :

1  normalizationInterceptor
2  authenticationInterceptor
3  referralInterceptor
4  aciAuthorizationInterceptor
5  defaultAuthorizationInterceptor
6  exceptionInterceptor
7  operationalAttributeInterceptor
8  keyDerivationInterceptor
9  passwordHashingInterceptor
10 schemaInterceptor
11 collectiveAttributeInterceptor
12 subentryInterceptor
13 eventInterceptor
14 triggerInterceptor

We could obtain the same order by replacing the ads-interceptororder AT
by a ads-previousInterceptor :

1  normalizationInterceptor ( previous : null )
2  authenticationInterceptor ( previous : normalizationInterceptor )
3  referralInterceptor ( previous : authenticationInterceptor )
4  aciAuthorizationInterceptor ( previous : referralInterceptor )
5  defaultAuthorizationInterceptor ( previous :
aciAuthorizationInterceptor, referralInterceptor ) (here, the
aciAuthorizationInterceptor may be disabled)
6  exceptionInterceptor ( previous : defaultAuthorizationInterceptor )
7  operationalAttributeInterceptor ( previous : exceptionInterceptor )
8  keyDerivationInterceptor ( previous : operationalAttributeInterceptor )
9  passwordHashingInterceptor ( previous : keyDerivationInterceptor )
10 schemaInterceptor ( previous : passwordHashingInterceptor )
11 collectiveAttributeInterceptor ( previous : schemaInterceptor )
12 subentryInterceptor ( previous : collectiveAttributeInterceptor )
13 eventInterceptor ( previous : subentryInterceptor )
14 triggerInterceptor ( previous : eventInterceptor )

Now, for interceptors that has no specific requirement, we can set the
previous AT to the previous AT it will follow.

The key is that we must distinguished between critical inteceptors (the
level-1 interceptors) and others. We enforce the position only within
one level (ie, level-1 interceptors orders are checked, then level-2,
then level-3). So we can add a non critical interceptor (ie level-2 or
3) in the chain between two critical interceptors, without creating any
trouble in the critical interceptor order : the check for level-1
interceptors' order is done ignoring level-2 interceptors.

thoughts ?

--
Regards,
Cordialement,