Hi Kiran, Pierre

Answer depends on which level we'll use OSGI. If we'll only support OSGI, the answer is yes. If we'll use OSGI as our fuel to make ApacheDS extendable, the answer is no.

But only supporting is not a good decision for ApacheDS. As OSGI support, we can only separate 3.th party dependencies for now and make ApacheDS megabundle, so that users can install ApacheDS on their OSGI frameworks without causing library dependency problems. This can already be implemented in no time.

However as we use OSGI to actually make ApacheDS extendable , we have to use other features of OSGI other than modularity. And that makes us dependent on OSGI Framework. Any other solution for extendability other than OSGI will also broke your current way of running ApacheDS.

So, OSGI support is something meaningful for libraries only. For an application like ApacheDS, we must sit on top of OSGI. That will change our way of deploying, installing and running ApacheDS.

Regards,
Gokturk