directory-dev mailing list archives

From Göktürk Gezer <gokturk.ge...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ADS 2.0] OSGi, interceptors
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2011 13:16:10 GMT
Hi Emmanuel,Alex

I would like to add something to discussion.
More inline...

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 3:23 PM, Alex Karasulu <akarasulu@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@apache.org>wrote:
>
>> On 10/13/11 1:44 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny<elecharny@apache.org>
>>> **wrote:
>>>
>>>  Hi,

>>> This can be case yes, but i actually wanted them for further
interceptors. We can keep core interceptors in place. Don't need to separate
them all. Lets keep core interceptors in apacheds-core, and protocol
specific interceptors in their protocol implementation. And then any other
interceptor that comes and registers itself through OSGI can be attached to
DirectoryService's interceptor list.

>>> of
>>> interceptor chain re-entry constants or set of enum values like:
>>>
>>> ReEntry.NO_AUTHENTICATION
>>> ReEntry.NO_AUTHORIZATION
>>> ReEntry.NO_ERROR_CHECKING
>>> ReEntry.NO_SCHEMA_CHECKING
>>>
>>> etc ...
>>>
>>> This is like saying we do not need authentication, authorization,
>>> additional
>>> exception handling and checks or schema checking on re-entry instead of
>>> having a direct list of interceptors to avoid.
>>>

>> That's a good idea.
>>
>> One thing that might be problematic though is that we have no idea which
>> interceptors are going to be present in the chain, so we may be unable to
>> tell the chain not to use the interceptors added on the fly (for instance,
>> the logger interceptor).
>>

> Good point. Perhaps this is where we can have some kind of generic property
> that states whether or not by default on re-entry the interceptor should be
> included or excluded. There's a system default, say exclude by default
> always. Then the interceptor might override this with some class property
> like excludeOnReentry?
>
> This way even though the IC does not know which interceptors are present it
> can react accordingly on reentry. So for this logger interceptor example it
> might have excludeOnReentry set to false in which case it will always be
> included when present which makes send. We would not add the interceptor if
> we did not want to log reentrant invocations.
>

>> I'd rather create a set of interceptors we want to go through, as we know
>> which one we will use in those internal cases.
>>
>> In any case, using constants instead of class name is the way to go.
>>

> Yes this is definitely the first step, perhaps the final step but perhaps
> you might want to entertain the idea of evaluating inclusion or exclusion
> based on properties. This makes debugging a tiny bit more complicated but it
> gives us a more pluggable way to manage the IC.
>

>>> Then Interceptors when they register themselves can announce what
>>> standard
>>> functions they perform according to this set. Some may not announce at
>>> all
>>> if they perform none of these functions. This way the chain determines
>>> what
>>> to include and what to exclude based on these properties. There's no
>>> direct
>>> link with the interceptor itself and any implementation can be swapped in
>>> and out.
>>>
>>> This way we are letting the interceptor chain devise the proper chain of
>>> interceptors based on these properties instead of using more explicit
>>> names
>>> or direct references to the interceptor classes.
>>>

>> Ultimately, for each operation (add, delete, lookup, etc), we should be
>> able to define the set of interceptors we are going through.
>

> My thinking is to not define things in terms of interceptors to go through
> or not go through for each operation but rather we should define the aspects
> to include or exclude on re-entry into the IC for each operation. Keeping it
> generic this way, and having the Interceptor tell the IC which aspects it
> participates in allows the IC to include or exclude on re-entry.
>

>> This should be defined somewhere in the code, not in each interceptors. It
>> may even be some configurable information...
>>

> I see two points of configuration.
>
> One configuration is the IC configuration it self which includes the
> aspects to include or exclude on re-entry for each of the add, delete,
> lookup etc operations. The IC itself is a component with this perspective.
>
> The Interceptors themselves each have a configuration. In this
> configuration the Interceptor should expose what aspects it participates in.
> For example FooInterceptor might expose that it participates in the
> authentication aspect. This way the IC knows for example in a schema
> modification operation that causes re-entry to occur, this aspect is
> excluded say during a modify operation since the session is already
> authenticated (no need to perform this twice or on each re-entry into the
> IC). The FooInterceptor will be bypassed in this case.

For all the discussions above i may suggest using OSGI service properties.
So we don't statically reference the specific interceptor class, we just get
them using OSGI with some filter like
(interceptor.type="AuthenticationInterceptor"). By this way we don't change
a code much but we handle the decoupling.

>>> There can also be other hint mechanisms given to the interceptor chain so
>>> it
>>> can correctly asses which interceptors to include or exclude on re-entry.
>>> For example there could be properties exposed for defaults on the
>>> interceptor telling the chain always exclude on re-entry etc. There
>>> should
>>> be some more thought put on this but the present situation as you state
>>> sucks where OSGi and pluggability is concerned.
>>>
>> Right. We will try to get OSGi implemented anyway, and once it's done, we
>> can start thinking about a better mechanism.
>
> FYI, i just implemented dynamic Interceptor loading using IPojo. Its a
starter implementation. We can  improve it using the ideas those come out
from that mail. But you must now handling interceptor dynamism does not
solved the problems. Now i've to solve problems about concurrency.
java.util.concurrent classses are acting weird under OSGI.