directory-dev mailing list archives

From Göktürk Gezer <gokturk.ge...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS 2.0] OSGI, Implementing modularity
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2011 15:42:15 GMT
Hi Kiran, Pierre

Answer depends on which level we'll use OSGI. If we'll only support OSGI,
the answer is yes. If we'll use OSGI as our fuel to make ApacheDS
extendable, the answer is no.

But only supporting is not a good decision for ApacheDS. As OSGI support, we
can only separate 3.th party dependencies for now and make ApacheDS
megabundle, so that users can install ApacheDS on their OSGI frameworks
without causing library dependency problems. This can already be implemented
in no time.

However as we use OSGI to actually make ApacheDS extendable , we have to use
other features of OSGI other than modularity. And that makes us dependent on
OSGI Framework. Any other solution for extendability other than OSGI will
also broke your current way of running ApacheDS.

So, OSGI support is something meaningful for libraries only. For an
application like ApacheDS, we must sit on top of OSGI. That will change our
way of deploying, installing and running ApacheDS.

Regards,
Gokturk