directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Implementing Interceptor Extendibility
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2011 12:43:07 GMT
On 10/31/11 10:17 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 7:02 PM, Göktürk Gezer<gokturk.gezer@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Devs,
>>
>> I'd like to do some brainstorming about Interceptor extension mechanism
>> which we're about to implement. Ideas those will come out from that thread
>> will enlighten our way on other extension points of the ApacheDS.
>>
>> The first main issue is whether we're going to preserve old standalone
>> ApacheDS or not?
>>
> Let's be really careful about the common terminology we will be using for
> this discussion. When you say "standalone ApacheDS", I automatically think
> about the standalone ApacheDS maven module that holds the ApacheDS main()
> application launcher.
>
> In a previous thread Pierre recommended keeping such a module but modifing
> it so that it starts up an OSGi container which launches the ApacheDS
> bundles. However the user experience does not change much. This merely
> allows users to start up ApacheDS from the command line as before but
> behind the scenes an OSGi container is launched as the main() application.
> This is one option and I think I like this approach because this way we
> don't have to maintain a monolithic application startup and a OSGi startup.

Just replying to this part of the mail, I didn't had time to clarify my
thoughts about the rest of the mail (will reply later tonite).

To me, it's very clear that ApacheDS should either use the client's OSGi
container, or use Felix. Contrary to the API, there is no third
possibility (ie what we called the 'standalone' api : a simple jar with
no OSGi container needed).
In any case, IMO, ApacheDS should always be started and managed through
an OSGi container.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,