directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot>
Subject Re: Deploy apacheds in karaf and connect to it via apache directory studio
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2011 13:53:19 GMT
On 20 sept. 2011, at 14:21, Christoph Czurda wrote:

> Hi Pierre-Arnaud,
> Thank you for your quick reply!
> I've tried with both 1.5.7 and 2.0.0-M3 release and the result is the same for both.
I refer to 2.0.0-M3 now. Building the osgi artifact creates a bundle:{whichever_version}.
The osgi module, which was originally commented out in the parent pom, is described as: "Uncomment
to build all in one OSGi bundle."

I see now.
IIRC, this module has been created a while back (in early 2009) and is no longer maintained
It has probably been working for earlier versions of ApacheDS released at the time the module
was still part of the build. Probably 1.5.5.
I've never tested it personally.

As we've done with Shared/LDAP API modules, we intend to make each ApacheDS module an OSGI
However, as noted on this previous thread on ML [1], there are still major steps to accomplish
this, like for example avoiding using the same package in two different modules (which logically
makes OSGI go crazy).
A few bundle activators might also be needed.

> I will be glad to provide you with more information and I also offer my help in moving
ApacheDS to OSGI as I plan to use it for another project.

Cool, any help is greatly appreciated, especially in making ApacheDS an OSGI software.
If you're familiar with OSGI and ApacheDS' code, feel free to create and/or reuse a JIRA issue
and attach a patch fixing a particular problem.

[1] -

> Kind Regards,
> Christoph
> On 09/20/2011 12:58 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
>> Hi Christoph,
>> Which bundle are you talking about exactly?
>> I'm asking this because, at this time, we have not done any work to move ApacheDS
to OSGI. This is one of the tasks we're expecting tp do in a next milestone for the 2.0 release.
>> At the moment only the Shared/LDAP API jars are constructed and work as bundles.
>> Regards,
>> Pierre-Arnaud
>>> So far I did not configure anything at all. In Karaf I simply installed the provided
features.xml found inside the osgi artifact (after adding a few missing dependencies). But
the bundle being active does not open any new host and port I could connect to.
>>> Maybe I asked the wrong question... How can I start the server in Karaf? Or more
generally: What does the OSGI bundle actually do?
>>> Thank you,
>>> Christoph

View raw message