directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Replication fallback question
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2011 20:57:59 GMT
On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 2:21 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a technical question :
>
> what happens if we try to send a replicated entry, expecting that the
> consumer is present, but is disconnected just while writing the entry in
> this method :
>
>    private void handleWriteFuture( WriteFuture future, Entry entry,
> EventType event, SyncModifyDn modDnControl )
>    {
>        // Let the operation be executed.
>        // Note : we wait 10 seconds max
>        future.awaitUninterruptibly(); <<<<---- here
>
>        if ( !future.isWritten() )
>        {
>
> ?

yet to test this scenario completely, I mean we do handle many
variants of this case related to broken connection but the above
mentioned
needs further simulation and testing to choose a better handling
strategy than the currently existing one if required.
> I'm afraid that we will remain locked forever in the awaitUninterruptibly
> call.
>
> Now, if we add a timeout, I have another question : the timeout might be
> reached, but the consumer is still consumer. Do we have a mechanism that
> check regularly that the consumer is not back again (I mean, available)?

yes in this case we turn back the flag 'pushInRealTime' on so that
events can be pushed in real time

--
Kiran Ayyagari