directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HBase partition integration in trunks ?
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2011 12:22:32 GMT
On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@apache.org> wrote:
> On 8/15/11 5:59 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
>>
>> Now I have to update the parts that are a bit special, let me explain:
>> In HBase partition I didn't use one-level and sub-level indices, but
>> use the RDN index table instead. I also extended the search engine in
>> that way that one-level and sub-level cursors get the search filter in
>> order to perform filtering within the store instead of returning all
>> candidates and evaluate them.
>
> Some toughts about this one-level/sub-level index.
>
> Using the Rdn index makes perfect sense : we have the Rdn -> parent relation
> plus the parent -> children relation in this index, so there is no need to
> have a one level index (all the children are already listed in the RDN index
> for a specific entry). I'm a bit more concerned about the sub-level
> processing : we have to recurse on all the children to get all the
> candidates. That's fine, we can easily implement that (and you already did),
> but what concerns me is that we don't have the count of all the entries, we
> will have to compute them. This count is necessary in the search engine to
> select the index we will use to walk the entries.
>
> One solution would be to store two more elements in the ParentIdAndRdn data
> structure : the number of children directly below the RDN, and the number of
> children and descendant. That would probably solve the issue I'm mentioning.
> Of course, that also means we wil have to update all the RDN hierarchy from
> top to bottom (but affecting only the RDN part of the entry DN) each time we
> add/move/delete an entry. Note that we already do that for the oneLevel and
> Sublevel index.

Just to make a point:
I think, in the case of achieving SubLevel index evaluation with RDN
index it becomes a costly and complex operation
(recursive scanning and updating) where as with the current sublevel
index it takes O(1) to fetch all the sublevel children of
an entry.
Not sure if HBase has any features to solve in an efficient manner

--
Kiran Ayyagari